Skip to main content

The Weekend Recharge

Yesterday, I decided to kick start my blog writing again and I joined #blogjune.  I have been ignoring my blog lately and have been regretting it and feeling more than a little bit guilty.  My reasons have been very noble.  I have been working. Working, working, working - with a little bit more working on the side. You see, I was recently promoted and made full time.  It's only a temporary secondment, but hey, it's good experience and good for the CV yadda, yadda.  But what I didn't realise was how much this change in circumstance would totally take it out of me.  Like, I am completely knackered.  How did I ever work full time in my previous career?  How does anyone work full time at all!?!  I have tried to explain this phenomena to my friends who have seen less and less of me these last few weeks.  Librarianship is very tiring.  It's physical, what with pushing the carts around and running around the library and shelving heavy books, and it's surprisingly emotional.

I work in a low socio-economic area with lots of refugees and asylum seekers.  I serve people who are struggling to adjust to a completely new way of life, a new language, and who may have come from quite upsetting and unsettling circumstances.  I try my best to serve them, help them figure out what they need, maybe listen to their troubles and stories.  Stay polite, stay switched on, stay friendly, listen attentively.  Truth is, for the natural introvert (i.e. me), it's not just tiring, it's exhausting.  I can be a professional extrovert just as long as I have time to refill my reserves with some nice quiet alone time.  Now that I am working full time, my alone time is on the weekends and I am just not feeling up to catching up with anyone - not even friends.  I did not expect this to be a side effect of librarianship!

There are many things that w'e're not taught in library school and this is an important one.  Have you ever heard the old line "I became a Librarian because I like books, not people?".  Well, turns out you need to like both.  A LOT.  If you don't think you're much of a people person, or if you're truly a full-time introvert, public library life is going to be tough for you and you might be better suited to academic library work or back of house technical duties.  I am pretty outgoing and friendly most of the time, so I'm coping OK, but by the end of the week it's a struggle.  I'm sure I will get used to it, or at least figure out some good strategies to not make it so tiring, but I am surprised at how much it has affected life outside work. Something to definitely keep in mind if you're just starting out in your career, or think of next time you speak to that lovely, attentive, thoughtful and switched on Librarian that just served you!


Comments

  1. Valuable comment.
    If it helps I'm 99% extrovert and even I can become customer services out (took a few years but still happened).
    Have a lovely behind the scenes job now - hope you get some bts time factored into your work schedule soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi restructuregirl! Yeah we do have BTS time factored in thank goodness! Still such a surprise to me, though, the extent to which I am knackered at the end of the week. I am finding that writing about it helps, though, so yay for that small discovery! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Using librarian skills to uncover a network of dodgy shopping sites!

In all my posts over the years I'm not sure if I ever mentioned I am an avid steampunker.  Like many of my quirky fellow librarians, I love a good dress up and recently found myself searching for a great pair of boots to go with the Steampunk Aviator Superhero costume I'm assembling (trust me, it will work!). One evening whilst idly thumbing through Pinterest I found a picture of these undeniably AWESOME combat-boot style boots.  I followed the link to the website ( www.chichola.com ) and although it didn't look dodgy and offered PayPal, I am a cautious online shopper and always check the customer reviews first.  They were 1000% abysmal.  Like the kind of reviews that say SCAM, THEFT and CAN I LEAVE 0 STARS.  So despite loving the shoes, I was definitely not parting with my money on this occasion. Fast forward a couple of months and I see an ad for Victorian-style cosplay boots in my Insta feed.  Did I mention that I am an avid steampunker? ...

Saturday Librarian be like...

It's Saturday.  I'm at work. I work Saturdays - Saturday is my permanent shift and I gotta say I am used to working them now, it also helps that I don't have any other family routines to conflict with the concept of the weekend.  I used to think that one day was pretty much like the other.  The sun rises, you do stuff, the sun sets.  Turns out though the cultural attitudes and expectations that are associated with certain days (Monday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday), still linger quite strongly, even if your schedule is no longer based upon the routines that give these days their flavour. So now my Saturday is like my....  Tuesday.  Kind of.  Friday is Monday.  Monday is Friday.  Does that make sense?  Probably not.  Either way, working in an institution that is open every day is a little weird (and I'm also talking Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years, even if it just for chute clearing).  The entire year just morphs into a ...

Ambidextrous Me

After a minor interruption to service, I'm back and I've installed an upgrade! For those of you out there who may actually read this blog (the one or two of you, hi Mum), life has been more than a little busy of late and has interfered with my ability to read, and to blog.  Basically, I have been experiencing a career crisis.  Actually that's a bit dramatic it wasn't really a crisis (I just like the familiar-sounding alliteration), it was more that I really didn't like my job.  Don't get me wrong, my colleagues were AWESOME and that counts for so much in a workplace, but as a new Librarian, the job itself was probably as unchallenging and backward as it could get.  A career cul-de-sac.  A dead end.  A career coffin.  A place of final rest. So what was the position?  It was at a school.  A lovely school of a certain educational philosophy that was rather anti-technology and fairly set in its ways.  I sort of knew this when I started,...