Skip to main content

Closet page skipper?

FREEDOM TO SKIP PAGES, IF NECESSARY

Jonathan Franzen - don't get me wrong, I really do love his books.  But as with every book lover (that's a sweeping generalisation, but I have the freedom to generalise), sometimes you just go through bit of a reading lull.

I found this when reading Franzen's Freedom.  I have had Freedom sitting there for yonks, but have been intimidated by its size.  Mainly because I had become used to reading YA novels, and I felt like I was back in those teenage years taking the first tentative steps into the ocean of adult literature.  I was daunted by the depth and complexity that I knew would sit beneath the lines.

I don't know why I make myself believe that every foray into adult literature needs to be such an exercise in analysis and insightful questioning.  It must be the high school English student in me has never really graduated.  Why can't I just relax and enjoy the book?  I did, for the most part, really enjoy reading Freedom, but I am ashamed to admit that once it hit the heavier end of the novel; the last 25% or so where there is much discussion about social policy, overpopulation, the environment and sustainability (all expertly woven into the narrative, of course), I just grew tired.  I skipped pages.  I never skip pages.  It feels like cheating.  I am secretly horrified if I abandon a novel altogether, and often force myself to go back and keep giving it another go, until I guiltily stuff the tome deep into my bookshelf in an attempt to hide my shame.  As I had already happily devoured 75% of Freedom, I was not going to give up.  I felt it would inevitably draw me back in (it did), and so I deployed a tactic that I have never been bold enough to use up until this point - I skipped.

I won't go into a plot summary here; suffice to say that if you read the blurb and a little on Jonathan Franzen's style, you'll get an idea of what to expect.  Would I still recommend Freedom as a read?  Yep.  It is an engaging story and it did, on a surprising number of occasions, prompt me to consider what freedom is, and the price we pay for our freedom to make choices.  I was happy to discover that the adult hemisphere of my brain was still functioning well.  I also made an effort to let myself enjoy the narrative of the story as a whole, rather than try to separate it into its meaningful parts.  Maybe reading all those YA novels has been good for me, or maybe the high school English student has just, finally, graduated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Using librarian skills to uncover a network of dodgy shopping sites!

In all my posts over the years I'm not sure if I ever mentioned I am an avid steampunker.  Like many of my quirky fellow librarians, I love a good dress up and recently found myself searching for a great pair of boots to go with the Steampunk Aviator Superhero costume I'm assembling (trust me, it will work!). One evening whilst idly thumbing through Pinterest I found a picture of these undeniably AWESOME combat-boot style boots.  I followed the link to the website ( www.chichola.com ) and although it didn't look dodgy and offered PayPal, I am a cautious online shopper and always check the customer reviews first.  They were 1000% abysmal.  Like the kind of reviews that say SCAM, THEFT and CAN I LEAVE 0 STARS.  So despite loving the shoes, I was definitely not parting with my money on this occasion. Fast forward a couple of months and I see an ad for Victorian-style cosplay boots in my Insta feed.  Did I mention that I am an avid steampunker? ...

Ambidextrous Me

After a minor interruption to service, I'm back and I've installed an upgrade! For those of you out there who may actually read this blog (the one or two of you, hi Mum), life has been more than a little busy of late and has interfered with my ability to read, and to blog.  Basically, I have been experiencing a career crisis.  Actually that's a bit dramatic it wasn't really a crisis (I just like the familiar-sounding alliteration), it was more that I really didn't like my job.  Don't get me wrong, my colleagues were AWESOME and that counts for so much in a workplace, but as a new Librarian, the job itself was probably as unchallenging and backward as it could get.  A career cul-de-sac.  A dead end.  A career coffin.  A place of final rest. So what was the position?  It was at a school.  A lovely school of a certain educational philosophy that was rather anti-technology and fairly set in its ways.  I sort of knew this when I started,...

Saturday Librarian be like...

It's Saturday.  I'm at work. I work Saturdays - Saturday is my permanent shift and I gotta say I am used to working them now, it also helps that I don't have any other family routines to conflict with the concept of the weekend.  I used to think that one day was pretty much like the other.  The sun rises, you do stuff, the sun sets.  Turns out though the cultural attitudes and expectations that are associated with certain days (Monday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday), still linger quite strongly, even if your schedule is no longer based upon the routines that give these days their flavour. So now my Saturday is like my....  Tuesday.  Kind of.  Friday is Monday.  Monday is Friday.  Does that make sense?  Probably not.  Either way, working in an institution that is open every day is a little weird (and I'm also talking Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years, even if it just for chute clearing).  The entire year just morphs into a ...